Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Am Not the 99%


Ed and I have been out walking each day since Tuesday, me with my walking poles, Ed with his patience.  I am still pretty tippy and uncomfortable.  We have increased from two to almost three miles today.  It is not easy but I presume it is good for me. 

Today, I talked to Dawn, my Johns Hopkins P.A.  I learned that:
1.  Only about 1% of people have an immediate, acute reaction the way I did. 
2.  I can expect to see improvement each week but not each day the way I did Sunday and Monday.  (Tuesday, Wednesday and today have been about the same.)
3.  I may have to maintain a low dose of dexamethasone for a few weeks until this settles down, but perhaps that will be the end of it.
4.  People can take as much as 4 mg. of this stuff several times a day so my dosage of 1.5 mg. twice a day is reasonably low.
5.  We can play with the steroid level depending upon my reaction as I decrease the dosage. 
6.  Because this came on early and strong, it may be done by the time most people would be reacting, in another month - maybe.

Part of me would like to increase the steroid dosage and perhaps feel a little better, faster.  But the side effects of sleeplessness and hunger are just about manageable.  I am trying to practice what my friend Anne reminded me, “Healing takes time and patience.”  Choosing patience over faster progress for now seems like the best way to do it, even if it doesn’t always “feel” best.

With love,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment